Last month our founder Rianna traveled to Craiova, Romania for the Kick off Meeting for our new Erasmus+ Funded project, Beat the Taboos (BTTs).
BTTs is a 2-year international project that aims to understanding some of the challenges and barriers that young people with disabilities experience, create educational sexual health resources to empower young people with disabilities to make informed choices and decisions, and lastly provide a space to share best practice among peers and youth practitioners working with youth with disabilities from 5 countries across Europe.
All young people have the right to access quality education as education is one of the condition for self-determination and empowerment. We believe that in order to create the necessary conditions for young people to have accessible sex education, it is necessary not only to educate people with disabilities themselves, but also their peers, parents and professional working with them or around them, which we hope to do throughout the duration of this project.
• To prevent the problems that youth with disabilities may experience in the field of sexual development
• To increase the social and educational inclusion of people with disabilities
• To reduce risk of exposure to sexual abuse,
• For youth living with disabilities to develop independent living skills,
• To Raise awareness about body care
• To gain competence to take more responsibility about his/her gender
• Develop more acceptable behaviours to express their sexuality, –
• To facility communication skills and externalized behaviour regarding the sexual abuse in the past in order to solve this issue
• Awareness raising of the sexual and reproductive rights of people with disabilities
• To train staff to support people with disabilities in being aware and making use of their rights,
• To create public awareness for the rights of people with disabilities,
• Improved institutional settings to enable training of staff and sexual education for clients with disabilities.
Stay tuned for the progress of this project and all updates via our website.